May 18, 2024  
College Catalog 2024 - 2025 
College Catalog 2024 - 2025

Academic and Student Affairs Policies

Absence Due to Religious Beliefs

1985 Regular Session

Chapter 375


Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives in General Court assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:

Chapter 151C of the General Laws is hereby amended by inserting after section 2A the following section:

Section 2B. Any student in an educational or vocational training institution, other than a religious or denominational educational or vocational training institution, who is unable, because of his religious beliefs, to attend classes or to participate in any examination, study, or work requirement on a particular day shall be excused from any such examination or study or work requirement, and shall be provided with an opportunity to make up such examination, study, or work requirement which he may have missed because of such absence on any particular day; provided, however, that such makeup examination or work shall not create an unreasonable burden upon such school. No fees of any kind shall be charged by the institution for making available to the said student such opportunity. No adverse or prejudicial effects shall result to any student because of his availing himself of the provisions of this section.

A copy of this section shall be published by each institution of higher education in the catalog of such institution containing the list of available courses.

Approved October 8, 1985.


Because poor attendance generally results in poor grades, students must attend all regularly-scheduled classes and laboratory sessions. Students having attendance difficulties should discuss this matter with their course instructors and advisors.

Students who know they will be absent for three or more consecutive class sessions because of a family emergency or personal illness should report the extended absence to the Office of the Dean of Students. The Associate Vice President will notify the course instructors of the absence. Upon returning to class, students are responsible for discussing completion of all course requirements with their course instructors. If the course instructor and student find it impossible to complete all assigned work, the student may need to withdraw from the course.

Students who do not attend classes during the first two weeks of the semester will be withdrawn from the course and may receive an NA (non-attendance) grade. The grade appears on the transcript and is counted toward credits attempted but is not computed in the grade point average. The NA grade designation is not used during the summer semester.

Auditing a Course

Students who want to audit a course must obtain permission from the Registrar or designee. Audit students must pay full tuition and fees. The audit request must be made at the time of registration, and once approved may not be changed to a graded course. An audit course may not be transferred or used toward graduation requirements.

Catalog Year

The term “catalog year” refers to the academic year in which students are admitted and attended the College. Students must fulfill the program requirements listed in the College Catalog in effect for their catalog year. When students reapply to the College after an absence of five or more years, they must fulfill the catalog year/program requirements in effect at the beginning of the semester of re-application. Students may change their program in a given semester, but should do so prior to the end of the schedule adjustment period. If an exception is made to allow students to change their program after the schedule adjustment period, students must fulfill the catalog year program requirements in effect at the beginning of the semester following the date of the change.

Readmission Policy

The readmission policy applies to students who applied and declared a program of study, attended classes, but stopped out for less than five years. Access to the college email system, and myBHCC will be inactivated after two semesters of being inactive. Upon returning to the college, students who declare a new program of study or retain their original program of study with the current catalog year have to be readmitted. Students must complete the Readmission Form. Student whose last enrollment was in any of the college’s Selective Programs are not eligible to use this Readmission Policy. Selective Program students should contact for more information.

Reactivation Policy

Reactivation applies to students who were in a program of study, attended classes, but stopped out for less than five years from their original start date and have returned to the college under the same program of study and Catalog Year that they were accepted into. Access to the college email system, and myBHCC will be inactivated after two semesters of being inactive. Students will need to complete the Reactivation Form. Students whose last enrollment was in any of the college’s Selective Programs are not eligible to use this Reactivation Policy. Selective Program students should contact for more information.

Change of Grades

Students should direct all questions regarding grades to the course instructor. The instructor will change final grades only if a clerical error exists. Students must submit a written request to the instructor for re-evaluation if they feel that an error exists. The final decision regarding grades rests with the instructor. Students may initiate grade appeals no later than 30 calendar days following the last day of the instructional period for which the grade was granted. Please refer to the Bunker Hill Community College Student Handbook at for more information.

Clinical Experience Responsibilities

Students enrolled in programs that require clinical experience must adhere to all stated objectives and course competencies including those required for the clinical experience. Students are responsible for their own transportation to and from the clinical sites. Students are accountable for their behavior and demeanor during all clinical experiences and must conduct themselves in a manner that is in keeping with the College Code of Conduct, all professional conduct and regulations outlined by the regulating body, all conduct and behavioral expectations set forth by the clinical site, and additional specific requirements as are outlined in the program-specific student handbook.

Due to the competitive nature of placing students in clinical sites, students may have to travel long distances. It is important to note that some of the clinical sites are located in suburban or rural areas and are not accessible by public transportation. Therefore, students should consider this increase in time and cost in planning their transportation and finances for programs requiring clinical experiences.

The College reserves the right to suspend and/or remove students from the clinical experience whose behavior is considered inappropriate. Removal may adversely affect prospects for completing the requirements of these programs. Students so removed may appeal in writing to the Office of Nurse Education and Medical Imaging. Students participating in clinical experiences should refer to the Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI) and the Sex Offender Registry Information (SORI) requirements listed in the Admissions section of this catalog.

Behavior Policies, Discipline and Grievance Procedures

Bunker Hill Community College expects students to behave in a manner that is appropriate to a collegiate environment. Students are expected to assume responsibility for their own behavior and learning and to respect the learning environment of others. Bunker Hill Community College advocates a learning environment that enhances the academic, intellectual, cultural and social enrichment of its students, faculty, staff and the community at large. To guarantee that no member of the College community is deprived of this collegiate environment, student rights and responsibilities are clearly stated and behavior and discipline codes have been established. Please refer to the Bunker Hill Community College Student Handbook at for more information.

Course Load

Students who carry 12 or more credit hours in a fall or spring semester or 6 credit hours in a summer session are considered full-time students. Students must enroll in a minimum of 15 credit hours per semester of college level course work in order to complete an associate degree program in two years. Students who wish to carry more than 18 credits during a fall or spring semester or 9 credits during a summer or mini session must obtain written permission from the Dean of their program of study or designee.

Course Prerequisites

Some courses require that students meet certain conditions prior to registering. These conditions are known as prerequisites. Prerequisites include completion of lower-level courses with a passing grade, completion of computerized placement tests (CPTs) or formal admission to a specific program of study. To count a course from another college or university as a prerequisite at BHCC, students must bring evidence of completion of that course at the time of registration.

Dean’s and Merit Lists

Students with a grade point average of at least 3.00 are named to the Dean’s List, provided that no grade lower than C was earned in any course that semester. Grades lower than C include D, F, NA, W, WA, and IP. For Dean’s List computation, P is not considered a letter grade. Only courses numbered 100 or higher are considered in determining eligibility for the Dean’s List.

Students who are enrolled in at least 6 but less than 12 credits in a given semester, but otherwise have met the same performance level as those on the Dean’s List, are named to the Merit List. The Merit List has the same performance requirements as the Dean’s List. Students must have a GPA of at least 3.00 and no grade lower than a C, and only courses numbered 100 or above are considered.

Degree and Certificate-seeking Students

All students admitted to degree or certificate programs may be required to take Computerized Placement Tests (CPTs) in English, reading and mathematics, or may be required to take the ESL placement tests if English is their second language. The tests determine the levels at which students will begin their study. Based upon test results, the College may require developmental or ESL courses, or limit a student’s enrollment in an effort to enhance that student’s ability to succeed. Applicants to health careers and technical programs must comply with specific program entrance requirements and application deadlines.

Dropping or Adding a Course

Students may adjust their schedules either during the registration period or during the schedule adjustment period if a seat is opened in the course, all the course prerequisites are completed, and payment is made at the time of registration. After the schedule adjustment period, students may add only those courses offered through the Center for Self- Directed Learning. Refer to the College’s academic calendar for published deadlines at Students registering for courses that have already started must check with the faculty regarding the course attendance policy.

Credit Hour Policy

In accordance with the United States Department of Education, Bunker Hill Community College follows the Carnegie Unit for credit. Students are expected to spend a minimum of 45 hours of work for each credit. The most common breakdown for one credit is one hour of class instruction and two hours of homework for 15 weeks each semester. A three credit course demands nine hours each week.

Appeals Process for Grades

The Grade Appeal Process is for a student who believes that a recorded final grade does not accurately reflect his/her academic performance in a course. Grades can be appealed in instances where a student believes that an inaccurate final grade has been issued such as arbitrary grade issuance, inconsistent grading practice, or calculation error. For more information visit the Dean of Students at

Fresh Start Policy

Under the Fresh Start Policy, students may enroll without having to carry a very poor GPA record or low completion rate from years back that could prevent them from ever earning a GPA or completion rate sufficient to lead to graduation or completion of a program.

The following conditions apply to the Fresh Start Policy:

  1. The student must be a former Bunker Hill Community College student who has credits from BHCC. The students are eligible for Fresh Start if they are returning to BHCC after being away for 5 years or more. Students currently enrolled at BHCC or whose last term of enrollment is within 1-4 years are not eligible for Fresh Start.
  2. The credits held by the student must be at least 5 years old. No credits shall have been earned with an assigned grade at BHCC within the past five years. Grades include, W, WA, NA, and A-F, IP, and P.
  3. All these credits will be treated as the College treats credits transferred from other colleges. Credit will be granted for a course where a grade of C or better was earned. The courses from the earlier registration that received a grade of C or better will be counted as free electives or as courses fulfilling requirements depending upon the program requirements of the student who is re-entering, just as transfer credits from other colleges are counted. Only grades earned at BHCC after Fresh Start is granted are counted in the GPA. Likewise, only the completion rate of grades earned after Fresh Start is granted will be used to determine progress.
  4. This process can be used only once. If the student drops out again and then returns, the student cannot start again with a new GPA or a new completion rate.
  5. This process does not affect the need to repeat courses in certain programs where the earlier completion maybe considered out of date (this is frequently the case in science, computer technology, or health programs such as nursing).
  6. In all cases where these policies are at variance with federal financial aid policies, the federal policies will determine eligibility for such aid.

Withdrawal from a Course

Students may withdraw from a course or the semester only during the semester in which they are registered for coursework and only by the deadline specified for each semester, according to the academic calendar.

The College does not process course or semester withdrawals after the withdrawal deadline date. The College issues no refunds for students who withdraw from a course or the semester.

To withdraw from a course or a semester, students must complete and submit a withdrawal form, which is available at Student Central or online. After students officially withdraw from a course or semester, their transcript will show a grade of W for coursework. The College designates course withdrawals as “uncompleted courses,” which may adversely affect academic standing and financial aid eligibility. Failure to attend or ceasing to attend a class or classes does not constitute official withdrawal and results in grades of F or NA for the course or courses. Failure to withdraw formally may affect students’ academic standing and eligibility to receive financial aid (see Satisfactory Academic Progress).

Withdrawal from the Semester or the College

Students may withdraw from the College at any time; however, if currently enrolled, students will abide by the semester withdrawal deadline specified for each semester. If the College withdrawal is received after the semester withdrawal deadline, the withdrawal will not be processed until the semester has ended and final grades have been entered. Students who withdraw from the College are not entitled to a refund. To withdraw from the College, students must complete and submit a withdrawal form available at Student Central or online. Students who are enrolled and withdraw from the College, prior to the semester withdrawal deadline, receive W grades on their transcript.

Failure to attend or ceasing to attend a class or classes does not constitute official withdrawal from the College and results in grades of F or NA for the course or courses. Failure to withdraw formally may affect students’ academic standing and eligibility to receive financial aid (see Satisfactory Academic Progress). Students desiring to be readmitted to the College must submit a new application.

A student can withdraw for any reason according to the posted schedule UNLESS their account is on hold due to an Interim Suspension, Suspension, Expulsion or Hospitalization. For more information, please see the Dean of Students website,, or call the Dean of Students Office at 617-228-2408.

Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy

In order to continue at Bunker Hill Community College and/or receive financial aid, students must make satisfactory academic progress toward a degree or certificate. Satisfactory academic progress is the calculation of the cumulative course completion rate* and grade point average of a student. The College considers students to be achieving satisfactory academic progress if they complete 67 percent or more of the total number of credits attempted and meet the following minimum cumulative grade point average:

Fewer than 12 no minimum
12-30 1.79
More than 30 2.00

* This includes credits taken at BHCC as well as those officially transferred in.

Academic Warning

The College places students on Academic Warning if they do not meet the criteria for satisfactory academic progress.

Academic Improvement

The College places students on Academic Improvement if they meet the criteria for satisfactory academic progress during their Academic Warning semester or Academic Probation semester, and their cumulative GPA and completion rates do not meet the criteria for Good Academic Standing.

Academic Probation

The College places students on Academic Probation if they do not meet the criteria for satisfactory academic progress during their Academic Warning semester and their cumulative GPA and completion rates do not meet the criteria for Good Academic Standing.

Academic Suspension

The College places students on Academic suspension if during any probationary semester, they do not meet cumulative SAP requirements and one of the following circumstances occur during that semester:

  • Student’s semester grade point average is below 1.79. (Student has attempted between 12 and 30 credits to date, including transfer credit accepted and those earned at BHCC) OR
  • Student’s semester grade point average is below 2.00. (Student has attempted more than 30 credits to date including transfer credit accepted and those earned at BHCC) OR
  • Student has completed less than 67% of the total number of credits attempted in an Academic Probation semester, at BHCC. (Please note that grades of F, IP, N, NA, W and WA count as credits attempted).

Students on Academic Suspension are prohibited from attending the college for a minimum of one semester unless the suspension status is successfully appealed. Following a minimum leave of one semester, students may appeal their academic suspension by meeting with the Associate Dean of Academic Affairs or designee.

Appeals Process for Probation and Suspension

Students placed on academic probation or suspension from the College for unsatisfactory academic progress have the right to appeal. Students who successfully appeal their academic suspension will be placed on academic probation when they return to BHCC. Students should contact the Associate Dean of Academic Affairs for more information. Academic reinstatement does not automatically re-establish eligibility for Financial Aid. Students should follow the Financial Aid appeals process separately from the academic appeals process. See the Financial Aid  section of this catalog for information on the appeals process.

Educational Records

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords students certain rights with respect to their educational records. Students are informed of their rights under this act through the College Catalog and the Student Handbook.

They are:

  • The right to inspect and review the student’s educational records within 45 days of the day the College receives a request for access. Students should submit to the Registrar, dean, head of the academic department or other appropriate official, written requests that identify the record(s) they wish to inspect. The College official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the College official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.
  • The right to challenge records and request the amendment of the student’s educational record that the student believes is inaccurate or misleading. Students may ask the College to amend a record by writing to the College official responsible for the record, clearly identifying the part of the record they want changed and specifying why it is inaccurate or misleading. If the College decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, the College will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of his or her right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.
  • The right to consent to record disclosure of personally identifiable information contained in the student’s educational records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent. One exception which permits disclosure without consent is disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is a person employed by the College in an administrative, supervisory, academic, research or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff); a person or company with whom the College has contracted (such as an attorney, auditor or collection agency); a person serving on the Board of Trustees or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another school official in performing his or her task. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an educational record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibility.
  • The right of complaint, to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by Bunker Hill Community College to comply with the requirements of FERPA.

The name and address of the office that administers FERPA is:

Family Policy Compliance Office
U.S. Department of Education
600 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20202-4605

Directory Information

Bunker Hill Community College has designated the following items as directory information: student name, academic program, semesters of attendance, current enrollment status, Dean’s and Merit Lists, degrees or certificates awarded and dates of graduation.

The College may release directory information to a third party requesting such student information without first obtaining the student’s consent.

A student has the right to refuse to permit the College to release directory information. To facilitate this, a student must request that a privacy code be placed on his/her directory information by completing the Request for Non-Disclosure of Directory Information form and submitting to Academic Records. If a privacy code is placed on a student’s record, no directory information will be released in College publications or to third parties, excluding cases in which the Solomon Amendment or lawful subpoenas require the College to release such information by law.

Notwithstanding the College’s definition of directory information, the Department of Defense, pursuant to the Omnibus Consolidated Appropriations Act of 1997, identifies the following additional student information as directory information for Department of Defense purposes: student’s address, age and level of education. This information is available and accessible from student records. Non-consensual release of directory information may be submitted to the Department of Defense in accordance with the Solomon Amendment.

Grading and Notation System

(effective January, 1990)

Grades and Notations Definitions of Grades and Notations Quality Points Per Credit Hour
A Equivalent to a numerical grade of 94 - 100 4.00
A- Equivalent to a numerical grade of 90 - 93 3.70
B+ Equivalent to a numerical grade of 87 - 89 3.30
B Equivalent to a numerical grade of 83 - 86 3.00
B- Equivalent to a numerical grade of 80 - 82 2.70
C+ Equivalent to a numerical grade of 77 - 79 2.30
C Equivalent to a numerical grade of 70 - 76 2.00
D Equivalent to a numerical grade of 60 - 69 1.00
F Equivalent to a numerical grade of 0 - 59 none
P Indicates satisfactory completion of coursework where no letter grade is given, or award of credits for a course by special examination. It is equivalent to a grade of C or higher and carries no quality points. Credit hours will be given equivalent to the number of credit hours normally assigned to the course none
IP Required work in the course is in progress. The method and time for completion of work must be agreed upon in writing by student and instructor; no credit is earned until the course is completed. IPs not completed by the end of the following semester are automatically changed to a grade of F unless an IP extension is agreed upon in writing by student and instructor and submitted to the Academic Records Office none
AU Audit; no credit earned none
NA NA Students who register for a specific course and who have not attended class meetings during the first two weeks of the semester will be withdrawn from the course and receive the grade designation NA (nonattendance) which will appear on the transcript and be counted toward credits attempted but not computed in the grade point average. The NA grade designation is not used during the summer semester none
W Official withdrawal from a course; no credit earned none
WA Administrative withdrawal from a course; no credit earned none

Midterm Warning Grades

Faculty may issue midterm warning grades during week 7-8 of the semester to students who may be in jeopardy of not successfully completing their course. Grades of D or F may be issued to students whose course work is below requirements to earn a grade of C or better in the course. A grade of FX is issued to students who may be in jeopardy of failing the course due to attendance concerns. Midterm warning grades are found in the Grades section under the Academic Profile menu of WebAdvisor on the Portal. Students should speak with their professor immediately to develop a plan to get back on track. A variety of support services are also available to students; please stop by the LifeMap Commons for a referral.

Computation of GPA

The Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) is computed by dividing the total number of quality points by the total number of credit hours attempted at Bunker Hill Community College. Grades of AU, IP, P, NA, W and WA are not calculated in the semester, cumulative or graduation grade point average. All grades are used in determining satisfactory academic progress, suspension and probation.

Program Changes

Students wishing to change from one program of study to another should consult with their advisors. Students then must complete a change of program form, available at Student Central. A program change may increase the time needed for students to complete program requirements for graduation. Students who receive financial aid should consult with the Financial Aid Office regarding the fiscal implications of program changes. Students may change their program in a given semester, but should do so prior to the end of the schedule adjustment period. If an exception is made to allow students to change their program after the schedule adjustment period, students must fulfill the catalog year program requirements in effect at the beginning of the semester following the date of the change.

Repeat Course Policy

This policy addresses courses taken at Bunker Hill Community College.

Students may repeat courses in which they earn a grade of D, F, W, WA, or NA without petitioning. Students can petition to repeat a course when they have obtained a C grade or better. The petition will then be passed on to the appropriate Academic Dean for approval. The process may be used no more than three times for courses with a letter grade of C or better. Repeating a course when the earlier attempt is a C or better is allowed only if the higher course grade is a course prerequisite or program requirement to continue in or enter a specific academic program. The highest grade automatically becomes the official grade for purposes of calculating grade point average and for determining eligibility for graduation. However, students should note that other institutions may have different policies when determining which course to use to calculate transfer credit or grade point average. The grades for each attempt, however, are recorded and always remain on the student’s transcript. Repeating a course may not be allowed in specific programs with outside accreditation.

Course Credits Attempted Grade   Quality Points Quality Points Earned
ENG-112   3 A- = (3.70) 11.10
BIO-196   3 C+ = (2.30) 6.90
BIO-102 4 B = (3.00) 12.00
SPN-201   3 F = (0.00) 0.00
TOTAL 13   =   30.00

Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA): 30÷13 = 2.31

Graduation Grade Point Average is calculated in the same manner but excludes developmental course work (i.e. courses numbered below 100).

Student Right-to-Know Graduation Rate

Graduation rates data are available online for all colleges that are required to report this information. This information is reported by colleges and published by the United States Government and available for Bunker Hill Community College at

Institutional Policy Statements

Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Guidelines

Office of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion

Nahomi Carlisle, Esq., Associate Vice President, Chief Equity and Compliance Officer, Affirmative Action Officer, and Section 504/ADA Coordinator

Bunker Hill Community College is an affirmative action/equal opportunity institution and does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, genetic information, maternity leave, and national origin in its education programs or employment pursuant to Massachusetts General Laws, Chapter 151B and 151C, Titles VI and VII, Civil Rights Act of 1964; Title IX, Education Amendments of 1972; Section 504, Rehabilitation Act of 1973; Americans with Disabilities Act, and regulations promulgated thereunder, 34 C.F.R. Part 100 (Title VI), Part 106 (Title IX) and Part 104 (Section 504). All inquiries concerning application of the above should be directed to Nahomi Carlisle, Esq., Associate Vice President, Chief Equity and Compliance Officer, Affirmative Action Officer, and Section 504/ADA Coordinator.

When a student or employee believes s/he has been discriminated against based on race, creed, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, gender identity, genetic information, maternity leave, sexual orientation or disability status, the College’s Policy on Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity & Diversity provides an informal complaint process and a formal complaint process which may be accessed by any member of the College community. Whether a complaint/grievance is formal or informal, the College will conduct a prompt, thorough, fair and objective investigation, and will take such corrective action as is appropriate under the circumstances. No student or employee shall be retaliated against for filing a discrimination complaint/grievance or for cooperating with the College’s investigation thereof.

For more information, to file a complaint/grievance, or for a copy of the plan and/or complaint/grievance procedure, contact the Office of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion.

Sexual Harassment Guidelines

Sexual harassment of a student, an employee or any other person in the College is unlawful, unacceptable, impermissible and intolerable.

Sexual harassment is a form of sex discrimination. It occurs in a variety of situations which share a common element: the inappropriate introduction of sexual activities or comments into the work or learning environment. Often, sexual harassment involves relationships of unequal power and contains elements of coercion, as when compliance with requests for sexual favors becomes a criterion for granting work, study or grading benefits. However, sexual harassment may also involve relationships among equals, as when repeated sexual advances or demeaning verbal behaviors have a harmful effect on a person’s ability to study or work in the academic setting.

For general purposes, sexual harassment may be described as unwelcome advances, requests for sexual favors and other physical or verbal conduct of a sexual nature when: (1) submission to such conduct is made either explicitly or implicitly a term or condition of an individual’s employment or education; (2) submission to or rejection of such conduct by an individual is used as the basis for academic or employment decisions affecting that individual or (3) such conduct has the purpose or effect of substantially interfering with an individual’s academic or professional performance or creating an intimidating, hostile or demeaning employment or educational environment.

A student, an employee, or any other person in the College who is found to have engaged in sexual harassment is subject to discipline up to and including termination of employment or expulsion from the College.

When a student, an employee or any other person in the College believes s/he has been the subject of sexual harassment, the complaint/grievance process is a mechanism for redress. Whether a complaint/grievance is formal or informal, the College will conduct a prompt, thorough, fair and objective investigation, and will take such corrective action as is appropriate under the circumstances. Reasonable efforts are made to maintain confidentiality during the grievance process No student or employee shall be retaliated against for filing a discrimination complaint/grievance or for cooperating with the College’s investigation thereof. For more information, for a copy of the Affirmative Action Complaint/Grievance Procedure, or to file a complaint/grievance, contact the Office of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion.

Sexual harassment is forbidden by both federal and state regulations. In keeping with these regulations, a concerted effort will be made to protect employees, students and others from sexual harassment as defined.

For the full text of the College’s policy concerning sexual harassment, refer to the Bunker Hill Community College Policy on Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity & Diversity.

Guidelines Concerning Sexual Violence

Committing an act of sexual violence upon a student, an employee or any other person in the College constitutes a violation of state and federal laws, and a major violation of the College’s Affirmative Action Policy. Sexual violence is absolutely intolerable and totally unacceptable.

Sexual violence is generally defined as any sexual activity where consent is not obtained or able to be freely given, and includes rape (vaginal, oral or anal penetration without consent), acquaintance rape (rape committed by someone who is known by the victim), or any unwanted sexual activity that is forced or coerced by one person on another. It is a criminal offense to have sex with someone who is incapable of giving consent due to being intoxicated, unconscious, mentally incompetent or under 16 years of age.

An employee or student who commits an act of sexual violence may be subject to criminal prosecution and will be subject to disciplinary action by the College, up to and including expulsion and/or termination of employment.

Victims of sexual violence are encouraged to contact the College’s Department of Public Safety at 617-228-2222 or 228-2053, as soon as is practicable under the circumstances. If a victim is more comfortable reporting the alleged sexual violence to a College employee with whom s/he is better acquainted, such as a dean, administrator or faculty member, s/he may do so. Any employee to whom an incident of sexual violence is reported, however, is required to notify the College’s Department of Public Safety and the Affirmative Action Officer and Title IX Coordinator forthwith.

If any student or employee believes that he or she has been the victim of sexual violence, the student or employee also has the right to file an Affirmative Action Discrimination Grievance with the College. For a copy of the Affirmative Action Grievance Procedure or assistance with filing a complaint, please contact Nahomi Carlisle, Esq., Associate Vice President, Chief Equity and Compliance Officer, Affirmative Action Officer, and Section 504/ADA Coordinator.

Reporting the incident to the College’s Department of Public Safety, the Affirmative Action Officer and Title IX Coordinator, or another College employee does not commit the victim to filing charges. Federal and state laws, however, require the College to investigate such reports. The matter will be investigated both by BHCC Police and separately by the Affirmative Action Officer and Title IX Coordinator. Although every reasonable effort will be made to protect a victim’s privacy, individuals with a need to know may be contacted and information may be shared as necessary to investigate and adjudicate the matter or as public safety requires. A report of the incident will be filed with local police in the event public safety is at risk even if the victim does not intend to report the incident to police or cooperate in an investigation.

The College prohibits retaliation against any person who presents a formal or informal complaint of sexual violence or who testifies or offers evidence connected with a complaint. Retaliation is a violation of the College’s Affirmative Action and Diversity Policy whether or not the underlying claim of sexual violence is confirmed. For the full text of the College’s policy concerning sexual violence, refer to Bunker Hill Community College’s Policy on Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity & Diversity.

System-Wide Student Policies

Bathroom and Locker Room Use

All students may use bathroom or locker room facilities on campus that are designated as gender-neutral or that are consistent with a student’s sincerely held gender identity. Use of a bathroom or locker room by any student for an improper purpose will result in disciplinary action, up to and including expulsion.

Changing Biographical Data

The following process is followed when any student seeks to change his or her biographical data as provided and maintained in College records.

Legal Name. A student’s legal name shall be used on all College documents, systems and communications external to the College and/or where a legal name is required.

Examples include, but are not limited to:

  • Financial Aid records;
  • Student Accounts records;
  • Student Personally Identifiable Information;
  • Student Directory information;
  • Payroll records;
  • Health records;
  • Official transcripts;
  • Federal immigration documents; and
  • Interactions with government agencies.

In order for any student to change their legal name on College records, a student must present a certified copy of a court order or other legal document indicating a legal name change has been granted.

Preferred First Name. The College recognizes that some students may prefer to use a first name other than their legal name to identify themselves. As long as the use of a preferred first name is not for an improper purpose, the College acknowledges that a preferred first name can and should be used where possible in the course of College business and education. Students may use a preferred first name wherever a legal name is not required on internal documents, communications, systems and web portals.

Examples include, but are not limited to:

  • Student identification cards;
  • Email and calendar entries;
  • Class rosters and advisor lists;
  • Learning Management Systems; and
  • Diplomas, awards and recognitions.

To request a preferred first name, a student should complete the Preferred First Name Change Form available in BHCCselfservice or on the Dean of Students page at

Sex Designation. In order for any student to change their sex designation in official College records, a student must provide a certified copy of a court order, or other legal identification, such as a Massachusetts driver’s license, reflecting the change in sex.


The Massachusetts Legislature enacted a law in 1985 that prohibits hazing on all college campuses. Students may obtain copies of the law (MGLc269s17-19) from the Student Activities Office.

Annual Security Report Notice of Availability

Bunker Hill Community College’s Office of Public Safety is responsible for issuing crime alerts in compliance with the Clery Act. In the event a situation arises on or about the campus, an alert is issued to keep the campus community informed.

The Annual Security Report Notice of Availability report includes statistics for the previous three years concerning reported crimes that occurred on campus; in certain off-campus buildings or property owned or controlled by Bunker Hill Community College; and on public property within, or immediately adjacent to and accessible from, the campus. The report also contains information regarding campus security and personal safety, including topics such as: crime prevention, law enforcements practices and authority, crime reporting policies, and other matters of importance related to security on campus.

As required by law, Bunker Hill Community College’s Office of Public Safety and Campus Police publishes and distributes this report annually by October 1. To obtain a copy, visit