May 27, 2023
This option prepares students in the imaging of the human heart with sound waves. Students are prepared to use the ultrasound equipment that produces sound waves, obtains an image, and provides the physician with diagnostic information for treatment.
* Milestone Courses should be taken in the order shown. This will help you stay on track and graduate on time.
- Diploma High School diploma or GED
- Session Attend a mandatory information session
- ENG-111 College Writing I Credits: 3
- BIO-203 Anatomy/Physiology I & Lab Credits: 4
- MATH College Algebra or Statistics Credits: 3
Completion of any 3 credit College Algebra or Statistics course
- TEAS Complete the Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS) Allied Health
Total Credits: 10
Admission Requirements Advising Note
- TEAS scores must be at least 47.6 percent in Reading, 46.7 percent in Math and 47.6 percent in English/language
- All Admissions course requirements must be completed with a grade of C or better
- As a prerequisite for a clinical placement or internship this program requires that all students must undergo a Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI) check and a Sex Offender Registry Information (SORI) check. For more information regarding the College’s CORI/SORI check process, please contact the College CORI/SORI Officer at 617-228-2193 or visit https://www.bhcc.edu/studentcentral/academicrecords/coriandsorichecks/
- Anatomy and Physiology must be completed within ten (10) years of application unless currently working in a related healthcare position
- Approximate application dates for the Fall program are mid-October through mid-February for admission to the program for the next academic year. Check with the Admissions office for exact timelines
Summer Before Starting the Program
Total Credits: 3-4
Accepted and standby students must complete either the online MIG-111 or PHY-201 with a grade of C or better in the summer prior to the start of the program. Students will need access to a personal computer with Internet access for MIG-111 .
Total Credits: 15
Semester 1 Fall Advising Note
- General Education Requirements Quantitative Problem Solving, Scientific Reasoning, Creative Work and Elective satisfied by program.
- Core courses (i.e. MIG prefix) are only offered once per year and must be taken as scheduled, as must BIO-204 .
Total Credits: 13
Semester 2 Spring Advising Note
- Students may consider taking ENG-112 , SOC-101 or CIT-110 this semester. It is strongly recommended that you do not take these general education courses in Summer Session I.
Total Credits: 12
Semester 3 Summer Advising Note
Total Credits: 10
Semester 5 Spring Advising Note
- All required general education courses must be completed by the end of the second spring semester.
Upon Completion of This Concentration Graduates Will Be Able To:
- Demonstrate general knowledge and technical skills required to perform cardiac echo examinations as an entry-level cardiac sonographer.
- Demonstrate sufficient knowledge of cardiac sonography to pursue registry status through The American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonographers.
- Understand the importance of lifelong continuing education in the field of Cardiac Sonography.
Graduates of this option qualify for employment in hospitals, HMOs, clinics, doctors’ offices, mobile units, community health agencies, equipment/film companies, and/or as application specialist sales representatives.