Feb 09, 2023
Through classroom teaching, lab observation and practice, and clinical experience, this full-time, Associate Degree program prepares students to work closely with surgeons, anesthesiologists, registered nurses, and other surgical personnel to deliver patient care in the operating room. The program prepares students to handle the instruments, supplies, and equipment necessary during the surgical procedure; to understand the procedures being performed and anticipate the needs of the surgeon; to have the necessary knowledge and ability to provide quality patient care during the operative procedure and to maintain sterile technique Students will have four semesters of clinical experience starting the second semester of the program.
This is a Selective Program. View the Selective Admission Program Requirements
* Milestone Courses should be taken in the order shown. This will help you stay on track and graduate on time.
Total Credits: 6
Admission Requirements Advising Note
Students must maintain a grade of B- or better in all surgical technology courses. Applicants to this program are required to undergo a Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI) check and a Sex Offender Registry Information (SORI) check.
The outcome of the CORI check may impact the student’s ability to participate in the clinical experience. For further information, see the Department chair.
Students must apply to the program through BHCC’s Admissions Office and:
- Possess a high school diploma or GED certificate.
- Attend an information session.
- Complete Human Biology and Lab (BIO-108).
- Complete Foundations of Algebra (MAT-097) or exemption by placing into higher level course.
After completion of the admission requirements, qualified applicants will be evaluated using an admissions rubric.
Total Credits: 16
Semester 1 Advising Note
- The Surgical Technology Program has a Fall semester start date.
- General Educational requirement Scientific Reasoning satisfied by program requirements.
Total Credits: 14
Semester 3 Summer Advising Note
- Students must earn a grade of B- or better in all Surgical Technology (SGT) courses for progression in the program.
Total Credits: 11
Semester 5 Spring Advising Note
Upon Completion of This Concentration Graduates Will Be Able To:
- Assist the operative team during the pre-operative, intra-operative, and post-operative phases of surgery.
- Prepare equipment and supplies for use during surgery.
- Function as “first scrub” on most surgical procedures.
Graduates of this program qualify for surgical technologist positions in hospitals. The prospect for jobs is very good at the present time as the cost of health care rises. Graduates of the program qualify to take the national certification exam.